Not confident enough to walk into gym

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help Not confident enough to walk into gym

I really want to get fit. But whenever I step outside, I feel like everyone are just staring at me. Idk why I'm so scared of being judged. The closest gym to my house has so many people. I'm so scared of stepping in. Should I just work out at home?

Edit: Thanks for the encouragements guys!!! I will go get fit!!!
    Last edited by quickslot; 01-18-2017, 04:04 PM.

Forget what people think fam just do you... if someone stares at you just stare back at them lol!

Comment

Just ignore them and workout there buddy. why would you care? Just stare back and do your thing! Be yourself & dont give a single damn about anyone. Goodluck!

Comment

Being completely honest, I think that no one at the gym judges you. Only an asshole or people who don't go to the gym often are the one to judge. The gym is there to get people fit and most people worry about themselves rather than others. I've been going to the gym for a while now and I had that same feeling to but honestly, don't worry about anyone else and focus on yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by quickslot View Post
          I really want to get fit. But whenever I step outside, I feel like everyone are just staring at me. Idk why I'm so scared of being judged. The closest gym to my house has so many people. I'm so scared of stepping in. Should I just work out at home?
          Some people may stare at you cause they want to tell you good job or something along those lines. I know ive seen some really huge people before at the gym and I sometimes look at them till they look at me then I nod at them to kind of tell them keep going keep up the work. So its not always a negative thing when people stare

Comment

You shouldn't care if they stare at u, just like Trillion said, some ppl do it, because they see you're new and maybe they think you need that encouragement(?). I'm telling you this because something similar happened to me the first time i went to gym, i barely spoke to somenone, but then i started to talk more, and now i just talk to everyone. Just don't be shy.

Comment

As people previously stated only a asshole would judge you negatively. I go to the gym frequently and when I see someone who's outta shape, giving their all. I respect that they're trying to change their lives for the better. Just go and do your thing and focus on your goals, you set out. You'll only be successful with that type of mindset. On a side note make sure you know how to do the workouts properly. Sometimes I catch myself looking at someone doing a exercise wrong when I'm resting and don't correct them because I am there to get my shit done lol.

Comment

hey man just a word of advice from someone that has started from stick and bones.

most of the people at the gym is in there striving for a goal so they won't be judging you. in fact believe it or not they would respect you for what you're doing. all of the people that are serious in the gym would respect each other for your hardwork and dedication.

and yes people will stare at you for different reasons - doing the exercise right, doing it wrong, just staring in your direction. some people would just take a glance and move away.

ultimately you just need to walk in with a proper mindset to train hard & smart to reach your end goal. be it strength, body building or just for health benefits.
                my vouch thread!

Comment

Hey bud, just do your thing man, gym goers respect new people for trying to get fit. And to be frank, you just gotta realize no body's got the time and effort to think about strangers.
                  Show

Comment

I'm going to be completely honest. People will look at you. They won't feel bad for you. They would envy you. The harder you work out the harder they would want to work out. You could always try crossfit or get a personal coach if you have the mula, but either way working out is always healthy and if anyone does f with you just be the bigger man. You're there to work out for yourself not for others.

Comment

Just remember, everyone at the gym at one point had to start somewhere. They were in your shoes before and will most likely still remember it. Nobody will judge because everyone has been through it.

Comment

There should be less and less people as the weeks go on. Reason being is the "New Years resolution" people are filling up the gyms now but typically give up around Febuary.
                        I Have a similar issue as yours though along with not knowing enough workouts to be there longer than 30-45 mins.
                        Most of the issue lies in just going after a day or two it should start becoming a routine

Comment

Listen bud, I won't tell you the same bullshit everyone does like:

- They're jealous of you
                          - Ignore them
                          - It doesn't matter, do your own thing.
                          - Nobody is judging you

They're not jealous of you and yes they are judging you. This isn't some sort of fantasy world where you'd walk in and make friends and slide down a rainbow. Just like everywhere in life, be it your job, your business, or the gym. You start off a pawn and work your way up. You take it to heart and let that rage be your motivation. I walked into the gym barely doing 5 bench press reps with an empty bar (about 20kg.) People kept looking at me and I'd hear occasional giggles and jokes. That was a few years back and I never let it put me down, I kept hitting the gym harder and harder. When I saw someone lift more than me, I'd push myself to the limit to catch up. There is no envy, people weren't born lifting more than you. If someone is more fit or buffed than you, that means he put more work than you. If you're scared of starting small because people will make fun of you, and let's face it, there are assholes everywhere that will do that, then the gym isn't for you. Regardless of where you work out, you will always be the person you see right now. The gym can help motivate you. Prove the world wrong, walk in weeks, months, or even years later and tell them all to fuck themselves as you Arnold bench 6 plates.

You've got this, man. One of the perks of working out really hard is that people will turn their gazes from those of mockery to admiration. Work hard, don't give up !

Comment

Originally posted by abduofuae View Post
                            Listen bud, I won't tell you the same bullshit everyone does like:

- They're jealous of you
                            - Ignore them
                            - It doesn't matter, do your own thing.
                            - Nobody is judging you

They're not jealous of you and yes they are judging you. This isn't some sort of fantasy world where you'd walk in and make friends and slide down a rainbow. Just like everywhere in life, be it your job, your business, or the gym. You start off a pawn and work your way up. You take it to heart and let that rage be your motivation. I walked into the gym barely doing 5 bench press reps with an empty bar (about 20kg.) People kept looking at me and I'd hear occasional giggles and jokes. That was a few years back and I never let it put me down, I kept hitting the gym harder and harder. When I saw someone lift more than me, I'd push myself to the limit to catch up. There is no envy, people weren't born lifting more than you. If someone is more fit or buffed than you, that means he put more work than you. If you're scared of starting small because people will make fun of you, and let's face it, there are assholes everywhere that will do that, then the gym isn't for you. Regardless of where you work out, you will always be the person you see right now. The gym can help motivate you. Prove the world wrong, walk in weeks, months, or even years later and tell them all to fuck themselves as you Arnold bench 6 plates.

You've got this, man. One of the perks of working out really hard is that people will turn their gazes from those of mockery to admiration. Work hard, don't give up !
                            Then there's people like me, who start off with squats and are too tired and zoned out to bother judging anyone

But seriously, use that motivation and continue to work hard. Even if you think people are judging you, the more you go the less they'll judge and the more they'll see you as just another regular. Set goals for yourself and as you progress you'll definitely feel a lot better and make sure not to give up when you plateau (It happens to EVERYONE).

Also, If you need someone to spot just ask, a lot of people won't mind helping.

Comment

Anyone who judges you at the gym is probably a insecure loser, anyone who is serious about gym thinks about themselves and whatever they listen to. Everyone wants to work out for THEMSELVES, not to make fun of people or worry about what other people can do. Focus on yourself, aim for your best and be consistent, your work will pay off.

~ VOUCH THREAD ~

Comment

Working...
                              X